If you see or hear advertising that seems too good to be true, it probably is. Put an end to fraudulent or misleading advertising by calling (937) 222-5825 or (800) 776-5301.
As responsible business people you have an obligation to see that your advertising complies with legal and ethical standards. If you have questions concerning what constitutes acceptable advertising, call (937) 222-5825 or (800) 776-5301.
What is the Advertising Review Council?
A joint program between your Better Business Bureau of Dayton/Miami Valley, Inc. and the American Advertising Federation, Dayton, the Advertising Review Council reviews locally run advertising to identify untruthful, misleading or deceptive practices.
Although most advertising is ethical, there are always a few people who don’t play by the rules. Understandably, these abusers undermine advertising’s credibility with consumers. The goal of this program is to restore public confidence in the truth and accuracy of advertising through education and voluntary self-regulation by advertisers
How the Program Works
Your Better Business Bureau reviews locally run ads that appear to violate advertising guidelines and law. If advertisers are found to be non-compliant, they are referred to the Advertising Review Council for review and possible further action. In cases of national advertising, the National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus and any other appropriate national regulatory agency is consulted.
Who is on the Council?
The volunteer council is made up of representatives from the media, advertising agencies, advertisers and academic entities to provide a fair and balanced perspective. Members of the Local Advertising Review Council are:
Chair - Rob Klaben, Marketing Director, Morris Furniture Co., Inc.
Past Chair - Stephanie Griffin, Marketing Manager, Voss Auto Network
Secretary - Christy Mauch, Director of Operations, Better Business Bureau
- Patrick J. Donnelly, Director of Sales, WDTN-TV, WBDT-TV, wdtn.com
- Kathy Eagle, General Sales Manager, Cox Media Group Ohio
- Kyle Fisk, Professor, Design Department, Sinclair Community College
- Linda Kahn, Senior VP/Media, The Ohlman Group, Inc.
- Rob Klaben, Marketing Director, Morris Furniture Co., Inc.
- Jayne McDougall, Partner, McDougall Marketing Communications
- Joseph Petrick, PhD, Professor of Management, WSU/Raj Soin School of Business
- Allie Quackenbush, Marketing & Sales Coordinator, Extreme's One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning
- Ted Weaver, Vice President, Dayton Door Sales
- Erika Whiting, Marketing Manager, Heartland Federal Credit Union
About your Better Business Bureau & American Advertising Federation, Dayton
Your Better Business Bureau of Dayton/Miami Valley, Inc. is a private, nonprofit association founded in 1925. It serves the Miami Valley, including Montgomery, Greene, Clark, Darke, Miami, Preble, Shelby and northern Warren Counties. For more information about your BBB, visit www.dayton.bbb.org or call (937) 222-5825 or (800) 776-5301.
The American Advertising Federation, Dayton (AAF-Dayton) was founded in 1911 to encourage public recognition of advertising as a profession, and enhance the marketing skills of its members. Visit www.aafdayton.org for more information.